Forum

profile |  register |  members |  groups |  faq |  search  login

BBC coverage of Cameron in Cairo - unanswered letter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnwhilley

Post Post subject: BBC coverage of Cameron in Cairo - unanswered letter Reply with quote

Posted by John Hilley on February 21, 2011

Quote:
Cameron in Egypt - to BBC

Dear Steve Herrmann and Helen Boaden,

The proclaimed watchword of the BBC is 'balance', as in providing within articles and reports an alternative view or interpretation, notably, that which gives a contrary voice to what government and other officials say and claim to represent.

Please could you look at the BBC piece, 'David Cameron hails "opportunity" on Egypt visit', and tell me where the balancing opinion is.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12523572

James Landale is not only travelling with David Cameron, he's amplifying his every word and claim as if they were obvious truths.

He and you, I'm sure, must be aware that, while Cameron is calling for an end to Egypt's 30 year emergency laws, the British state, including his government, have faithfully supported Mubarak and his regime over that same period, a policy which has seen a continuous flow of US/UK arms supplies and a blind-eye to his torture/rendition agenda.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/08/uk-arms-exports-egypt?CMP=twt_fd

Where in any of the BBC's output do we see the merest hint of British complicity in Egypt's repression?

Isn't there room for even a token challenge over Cameron's 'first Western leader' appearance and the suggestion of British hypocrisy?

I'm passing this on to the BBC Trust as a clear breach of the BBC's own notional guidelines.

In the meantime, perhaps you could reference someone like historian and author Mark Curtis who, I'm sure, would provide a rather different take on Cameron's visit and the nature of British 'concerns' in Egypt.

Just in the interests of balance.

Regards

John Hilley
Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:24 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
johnwhilley

Post Post subject: Reply with quote

Now answered. Further exchange here:

http://johnhilley.blogspot.com/2011/02/cameron-in-egypt-exchange-with-bbc.html

John
Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Media Lens Forum Index -> your letters All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: