scrabb

Post Post subject: Exchange with Newsnight editor Reply with quote

Exchange with Newsnight editor
Posted by scrabble on November 25, 2008, 10:52 pm

Sent: 25 November 2008 18:00
To: Peter Rippon
Subject: Newsnight economics

Dear Peter:

Welcome to Newsnight from a regular viewer and I hope you enjoy your tenure there.

I have a question about last night's programme (24th November) in which two panels discussed the pre-Budget report.

Not a single guest put forward the proposition that perhaps chasing unlimited growth year upon year was not necessarily the wisest course of action ~ that it would be much more sensible to have an economy that was stable, without unlimited growth, as this would benefit individuals as well as helping the environment.

Having six or seven pundits who all agree on the basic model of the economy (must get consumers buying more and more) doesn't really push the debate any further forward. This was blatantly apparent last night when both Michael Crick and Paul Mason, to Jeremy Paxman's discomfiture, admitted that the day had been a bit of a damp squib. And this was compounded by the final discussion that seemed to go on for ages and ages without anything new being said, while Paxman looked bored to tears.

So my question is this: why not stray outside the bounds of the tired and stale economic debate and have people on with new things to say, such as questioning this insane growth model and putting forward alternative ideas and policies? What have you to lose?

And it might make Newsnight more lively and provoking than last night's moribund edition.
Look forward to your response.

[s]

To: [s]
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:08 PM
Subject: FW: Newsnight economics

Dear .... [s]

Thank you for your email to the New Editor, Peter Rippon about last night's programme. You make the point that no-one specifically advocated curbing unlimited growth.

To be fair although that wasn't an issue that we specifically focussed on during last night's programme, both the Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats, represented in last night's discussion, have been critical of the Labour Government allowing rapid expansion of the economy by credit.

But you are right that we should constantly keep looking for different approaches and perspectives on the economic situation. We will keep trying.

Over the period of the tightening financial situation we have had many different discussions. On Friday we chose to use economists rather than yesterday's politicians. One of the two guests did make some of your specific points, I'm sorry you didn't like last night's edition but hope you'll keep watching - and letting us know what you think - as we continue to find new ways of examining just how 21st century hard times are hitting Britain.

All the best

Simon Enright
Assistant Editor
BBC Newsnight
Simon Enright * Assistant Editor * BBC Newsnight * Tel: 0208 624 9800 * Mob: 07740 818729

Dear Simon:

Thanks you for your attention and your prompt reply. It's reassuring to know emails are read so quickly and acted upon.

I watched last Friday's edition and mustn't have paid sufficient attention because I don't recall any of your guests making the points I raised in my letter or anything remotely similar to them. They may have "cast doubt on the strategy of getting consumers to buy more" as you put it - but the doubt is on the strategy, or the timing, or simply making a political point in opposition to Labour, +not+ on the policy of chasing endless growth. And this is my point: your focus is extremely narrow and assumes the status quo position that the way our system works is the correct one and any other economic model is out of the question and needn't be mentioned, much less discussed. Well, I think you should question it, and mention it, and discuss it.

We as a society are not just in another period of bust as opposed to boom, waiting for recovery to happen. We are in a totally different and unprecedented epoch in history, and if you and the editorial team at Newsnight don't recognise this, you are short-changing your viewers and not doing the analysis you ought to be doing. Personally, I think you do recognise it and need to grasp the nettle.

You say "But you are right that we should constantly keep looking for different approaches and perspectives on the economic situation. We will keep trying." I am encouraged by these words and hope you will do as you say. Along with many others, I will be watching.

I wish you well ~

[s]

ps: these exchanges will be posted on the MediaLens message board.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Responses:

They'll respond how they always do - John November 25, 2008, 11:17 pm
Re: Exchange with Newsnight editor - Peter Fainton November 25, 2008, 11:35 pm
Great stuff, Scrabb! This is text-book ML work. What's more -- - Rhisiart Gwilym November 26, 2008, 12:40 am
Re: Great stuff, Scrabb! This is text-book ML work. What's more -- - Norman Whiteside November 26, 2008, 7:33 am
Re: Exchange with Newsnight editor - jjboulas November 26, 2008, 8:13 am
Hope you're right Norman! Oddly, despite everything, this little gremlin of optimism stays with meNM - Rhisiart Gwilym November 26, 2008, 9:07 am
Re: Exchange with Newsnight editor - Stephen November 26, 2008, 11:00 am
Re: Exchange with Newsnight editor - RMS November 26, 2008, 11:15 am
Re: Exchange with Newsnight editor - Frank Harris November 26, 2008, 2:11 pm
Peter Rippon's email address - scrabble November 26, 2008, 3:07 pm
Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:22 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Media Lens Forum Index -> your letters All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: