Forum

profile |  register |  members |  groups |  faq |  search  login

Letter to MARY DEJEVSKY re: Independent article 3rd Feb 04

View previous topic :: View next topic  
simon cook

Post Post subject: Letter to MARY DEJEVSKY re: Independent article 3rd Feb 04 Reply with quote

Dear Ms Dejevsky

I am writing to you in reference to your article from today’s Independent entitled IRAQ: THE INTELLIGENCE FAILURES: LET'S BE HONEST: JOURNALISTS FAILED AS WELL

It is a good article, and rightly holds the media and journalists to account, for failing to expose the Government’s numerous lies, deceits and fabrications.

However I feel I must take issue with this paragraph.

"The attention this revelation received, however, was fleeting. Kamel, killed after he was lured back to Iraq, was not regarded as a credible source and, just a few weeks before the war, the US and British governments had no interest in promoting this version. The story produced scarcely a ripple elsewhere in the media."

Far from just burying Kamel’s testimony, both the British and US Governments clearly asserted a false testimony, regarding Kamel not only as credible but in fact a star witness.

Best Regards

Simon Cook

-

Independent on Sunday, March 2nd
Tony Blair wrote: "[..] the UN has tried unsuccessfully for 12 years to get Saddam to disarm peacefully. And if he doesn't co-operate then no number of inspectors and no amount of time is going to ensure it happens in a country almost twice as big as the UK. The UN inspectors found no trace at all of Saddam's offensive biological weapons programme – which he claimed didn't exist – until his lies were revealed by his son-in-law. Only then did the inspectors find over 8,000 litres of concentrated anthrax and other biological weapons, and a factory to make more." ("My Christian conscience is clear over war", 2 March 2003)

Blair: "The UN inspectors found no trace at all of Saddam's offensive biological weapons programme – which he claimed didn't exist – until his lies were revealed by his son-in-law." Jack Straw repeated the same falsehood in an interview on 1 June 2003: "[...] they denied that they had a nuclear or biological weapon programme - and carried on denying it [...] and only finally did the truth about this weapons programme come out when an individual defected."http://middleeastreference.org.uk/quotesinspections.html

Kamel's defection has been cited repeatedly by President Bush and leading officials in both the UK and US as evidence that (1) Iraq has not disarmed; (2) inspections cannot disarm it; and (3) defectors such as Kamel are the most reliable source of information on Iraq's weapons.

Prime Minister Tony Blair in his statement to the House of Commons on 25 February 2003, said: "It was only four years later after the defection of Saddam's son-in-law to Jordan, that the offensive biological weapons and the full extent of the nuclear programme were discovered."

President Bush declared in a 7 October 2002 speech: "In 1995, after several years of deceit by the Iraqi regime, the head of Iraq's military industries defected. It was then that the regime was forced to admit that it had produced more than 30,000 liters of anthrax and other deadly biological agents. The inspectors, however, concluded that Iraq had likely produced two to four times that amount. This is a massive stockpile of biological weapons that has never been accounted for, and capable of killing millions."

Colin Powell's 5 February 2003 presentation to the UN Security Council claimed: "It took years for Iraq to finally admit that it had produced four tons of the deadly nerve agent, VX. A single drop of VX on the skin will kill in minutes. Four tons. The admission only came out after inspectors collected documentation as a result of the defection of Hussein Kamal, Saddam Hussein's late son-in-law."

In a speech on 26 August 2002, Vice-President Dick Cheney said Kamel's story "should serve as a reminder to all that we often learned more as the result of defections than we learned from the inspection regime itself".

Hussein Kamel was not in the process of providing excuses for the Iraqi regime. Much of the interview is taken up with his criticisms of its mistakes: "They are only interested in themselves and not worried about economics or political state of the country. [..] I can state publicly I will work against the regime." (p.14). And yet, when it comes to prohibited weapons, Kamel is unequivocal: Iraq destroyed these weapons soon after the Gulf War.
http://middleeastreference.org.uk/kamel.html

Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:52 pm
simon cook

Post Post subject: reply from Mary Dejevsky Reply with quote

thank you. i will store that info up for future use. i just remember being
curious about why the newsweek piece was not picked up and why stories that
subsequently ran on the bbc (website) and guardian were not given more
attention. i tried to get it in our paper, too - and had to put in a larger
article about chemical weapons, which was cut, for space rather than
ideological reasons, and no one was interested in going back to it.

regards, mary dejevsky
Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:35 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Media Lens Forum Index -> your letters All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: