Forum

profile |  register |  members |  groups |  faq |  search  login

Letter to Martin Woollacott

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Bracewell

Post Post subject: Letter to Martin Woollacott Reply with quote

I sent this in reply to his article - "Our spies were hostage to their mistrust of Saddam " - http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1135749,00.html

Dear Martin,

If Saddam 'cheated' then what indeed did our governments do with their citizens? Should we overthrow our governments on the same basis as they did Saddam? There would be the added impetus of removing murderous thugs from positions of power, so the proposal is clearly analogous.

By way of a gentle corrective, your reference to Ritter goes only so far. You may also refer to his words that directly contradict your assertion that the Iraqi government were substantially uncooperative. And also to Ritter's words that contradict the old lie - that you seem to have repeated in looser form - that the inspectors were thrown out by Saddam. They weren't! UN chief weapons inspector Richard Butler withdrew them on US orders.

It is on the record that just prior to this war the Iraqis put out feelers to the US government that would have more than satisfied the publically asserted US/UK position to permit fully invasive inspections. Given the rejection of any good faith US/UK progress here, Iraqi 'cheating' is irrelevant.

There was simply no credible evidence of any WMDs, as you sort of bring yourself to point out. Yet this and only this was why we were lead to war. The lying that got us into the war in itself constitutes egregious behaviour - indeed the behaviour of war criminals. So Tony Blair joins the Pantheon of murderous lunacy alongside Bush, Howard and Saddam. Four pitiful, bedraggled testaments to hubris and ruthlessness.

There are perhaps 40,000 dead, both military and civilian, and the mooted free-market Iraqi asset heist along with the attempt to truncate a meaningful democratic process should really tell you something. If Blair and Bush wanted to keep people focused on the purported objective - the prevention of a nexus between terrorism and WMD technology - they would be scrupulous in not privatising Iraq unilaterally and then even suggesting what amounts to a security state bereft of the fundamental trappings of the most limited democracies - a free vote. This is simple logic. To do otherwise is to telegraph the exact wrong message, thus fertilising Muslim rage and alienation for our contemptible behaviour. This is how much our leaders care about Islamic terrorism - they actively encourage it.

Saddam was a clapped out old dictator with no possibility of resurrecting his weapons program. We all agree - Bush, Blair, Howard, myself and millions of citizens who can see through the transparent miasma of Western political propaganda. Only the media establishment and their trusting readership don't seem to understand - as was intended. Yet we did and still do - both our governments and their dissidents. What strange alignments.

Finally, the fact that our governments did little to secure crumbling, derelict WMD installations from actual terrorists after the Iraqi war - securing the Iraqi oil ministry as a matter of urgency - must tell you something about the nature of their concerns and your fundamental misunderstanding of them.

As a journalist, you could aspire to something higher than searching for excuses in the inexcusable. Your search here is as fruitless as Mr Kaye's because the starting point - the good faith of our dear leaders - is, like the WMD story that plunged us into this god awful new world, demonstrably untrue.

kind regards

David Bracewell
Nelson, BC
Canada
Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:54 am
Burghard-Henry Lehmann

Post Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

I don't quite get the sentence in third paragraph from the bottom: "We all agree - Bush, Blair, Howard, myself and millions of citizens who can see through the transparent miasma of Western political propaganda." This looks to me like some kind of unfortunate error, because I don't think we all agree with Bush, Blair, Howard...

Sorry to be this awkward, but I really don't get the meaning of that paragraph.

Cheers
Henry
Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:55 am
David Bracewell

It's not a huge point Henry. I'm saying that our leaders know the score and dissidents know the score. Secretly, the governments of the US/UK/Aus agree to the same set of facts as we do.

It's their scribes and propagandists who do not face the reality because they listen acutely to what leaders have to say and pay little heed to the actual evidence of their actions. They then build constructs about the position asserted by politicians, rather than square what is publically asserted against actions taken. And they transmit this to a loyal readership. So our leaders and we dissidents are in agreement as to the facts (and this is shown by papers that they pass between themselves in secret which then unintentionally get out into the public realm) - but the public position they adopt is of course that which they feed to the media whom they rely on to propagandise the larger population.

Last edited by David Bracewell on Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:56 pm
Burghard-Henry Lehmann

Thanks for clearing that up for me, David. Sometimes English can still be confusing for me. Embarassed

Cheers
Henry
Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:06 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Media Lens Forum Index -> your letters All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: