Forum

profile |  register |  members |  groups |  faq |  search  login

web sources wanted : info transcript source video etc
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sir jay de mellow

Post Post subject: web sources wanted : info transcript source video etc Reply with quote

web sources wanted : info transcript source video etc

leave them here for the duration. add any you need

1. channel 4 news uk - vid or transcript from 1900hrs[uk] November 3, 2005

interview between jon snow and stansfield turner

2. ref for contracts for uk airbase use by u.s. in relation to gabriele message board post:

Quote:

ABOUT "CONSPIRACY THEORIES"
Posted by gabriele on November 11, 2005, 8:10 pm, in reply to "Re: Jordan Blasts"
User logged in as: gabriele

UK link to terror snatches
Ian Cobain and Richard Norton-Taylor
Monday September 12, 2005
The Guardian
The United Nations is investigating the CIA's use of British airports when abducting terrorism suspects and flying them to prisons around the world where they are alleged to have been tortured.

The inquiry, led by Martin Scheinin, a special rapporteur from the UN Commission on Human Rights, comes as an investigation by the Guardian reveals the full extent of the British logistical support. Aircraft used in the secret operations have flown into the UK at least 210 times since the September 11 terror attacks.

Foreign Office officials have denied all knowledge of the secret flights, telling MPs on the foreign affairs select committee that the ministry has "not granted any permissions for the use of UK territory or air space", and suggesting to the Guardian that it was "just a conspiracy theory".

Privately, Ministry of Defence officials admit that they are aware of the flights, and that they have decided to turn a blind eye. "It is not a matter for the MoD," said one. "The aircraft use our airfields. We don't ask any questions. They just happen to be behind the wire."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/humanrights/story/0,7369,1567947,00.html

Link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/humanrights/story/0,7369,1567947,00.html

3.] video clip of chavez [venezuela] adressing crowd from behind lectern - crowd is "pogo-ing"- chavez too.

used on channel 4 1900hrs[uk] news between about the 3rd and 10th november 2005[/b]

4] a more general one here:

radio 4 listen again - good for interviews- but have problems with the player- can use media player any re formatted sites on web?

all the best, sir jay

Last edited by sir jay de mellow on Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:00 am
sir jay de mellow

Post Post subject: ann clwyd interview and audio interview free library/resourc Reply with quote

request : ann clwyd interview and audio interview free library/resource archive open source?

looking for mp3 file downloadable for the following interview- audio pls

[from newsnight] the whole of the interview[newsnight November 16, 2005 bbc2 uk]between mr.paxman and mrs clwyd- in mp3 [audio only]
precisely to include : minutes 07:30 to 13:00 of the newsnight broadcast

all the best,sir jay

also looking for website as detailed from the following medialens board
Quote:

Re: Help: NewsNight transcript
Posted by focus on November 15, 2005, 11:22 pm, in reply to "Help: NewsNight transcript"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/default.stm
the only thing i can suggest is to click on watch again on the above link and "do it yourself"
the replay is available for 24 hrs

i dont know if one can "record" it from ones computer like a video from tv- that would, bundled up- in various formats- be a good web resource - surprised the bbc doesnt do it itself

but then a] loses ctrl of own archive
b] runs risk of having itself reflected at itself from persons who dont necessarily sculpt an "appropriate" agenda

still reckon they should bite the bullet and do it though - in a certain language- remain competitive - even if it is by contentiousness.

nb:

http://www.medialens.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1190

http://www.medialens.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=914 -fourth response down

http://www.medialens.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=916 - slightly oblique- second link

http://www.medialens.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1082

all the best gabrielle, good point, f

--Previous Message--
: Does anybody know how to get the transcript of
: Newsnight - (today nov. 15) ? Thank you...
: It would just be great to publish the
: transcript, with no comments... ...... from gabriele

all the best sir jay[/quote]

Last edited by sir jay de mellow on Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:19 am
sir jay de mellow

Post Post subject: couple more Reply with quote

two different items

1. information/bio of the man [us republican election opinion meister?]
who did the newsnight focus group on the four [uk]tory leadership challengers, just after all four had made their party conference speeches.

1b. also did an interview recently on bbc something, i think radio, probly radio 4, on body language comparisons between blair and cameron during camerons first pmq as opposition and tory leader. - would appreciate a ref/link for this.

2. interview with gerry adams on bbc world service this week, i think monday or tuesday night - perhaps part of a series with n.i. politicians
mp3 or transcript if can find

all the best,f

Last edited by sir jay de mellow on Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:23 pm
sir jay de mellow

Post Post subject: vague request Reply with quote

percieved observation

am looking for info/articles/refs pertaining to the following, perhaps erroneous, observation :

percieved observation:

it seems, in the last few[2-3] years a cohort of important middle east personalities [players?] have passed on/ died

just in case - i am not claiming any foul play- other than that obviously stated in mainstream-ville

what i am looking for is a list or description of the persons and their roles perhaps with links to their biography

all the best,f

Last edited by sir jay de mellow on Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:07 am
sir jay de mellow

Post Post subject: kanotalk can-not-talk kin-not-talk energy Reply with quote

kanotalk can-not-talk kin-not-talk energy

request for set of figures detailing:

tonnage?/ number?/ etc???????

of deployed/dropped/ used munitions in:

a]: irq war 1
b]:irq no fly zone sanctions era
c]:irq war 2

in as much detail as possible- year by year or month by month would be good

Last edited by sir jay de mellow on Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:09 pm
sir jay de mellow

Post Post subject: Reply with quote

looking for refs:

re the following story: links:

http://www.megastar.co.uk/meganews/news/2005/12/22/sMEG01MTEzNTI0OTYxODQ.html
http://atangledweb.typepad.com/weblog/2005/12/mother_goose_st.html
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005590368,00.html
http://community.channel4.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/503603557/m/2600044273/p/2

what i am interested in is a record/transcript of the mans defence, and opinion on the event

i.e. his own right of reply - which i have not seen - certainly in the mainstream.

seen as the man is no longer under contract, he surely cannot be under any confidentiality clause - stretching

am also interested in the union - if any of the plaintiffs or accused are under union membership - and how they percieve the event in both local [to partic hospital] and national level - as this might highlight how unions will approach such potential conflicts of interests in the future.

would love to interview the guy if anyone could set it up would be much obliged.

also interested in any websites which detail cases such as this[ though not necessarily about hitler party tricks]

especially if the union is not supporting him

if indeed that is the case am also looking for new unions or new type of organisations that do support people in such a position - as no doubt they will over time recieve increased membership - and perhaps pose a threat to the union movement.

am interested in other potential consequences of this : potential "union squeeze vice" technique or resultant position.

not sure what to think, wrt details of scenario- hence the request for references, excuse me for extrapolating some ideas based on incomplete knowledge.

all the best, sir jay

all the best,f

Last edited by sir jay de mellow on Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:17 pm
sir jay de mellow

Post Post subject: heat produced from industrial/modern and anthropogenic proce Reply with quote

heat produced from industrial/modern and anthropogenic processes

what i am looking for is information/refs/links estimating total heat put into the earth-planetary system , eg from about 1700 [years not hours] from processes associated with industrialisation.

am not specifically looking for information derived from fuel use though i can see it may play a part in certain estimations. eg intentional environmental heating.

also looking for some sort of analysis/conjecture/estimation of heat put into system from increased populations of human beings and associated increased populations of animal[warm blooded] species required[ some might say not] as foodstuff. - obviously some requiring ambient heating.

lastly, i am looking for the parameter used to describe the earth planetary system wrt average temperature raise and trend - associated with scientific projections of climate change. more specifically - what is the definitions of the body being modelled, indeeed is there a standard,- where are its limits- stratosphere , troposphere and how deep does it go into the earth itself. perhaps it is not parameterised like that - i dont know

the last point is important for calculations relating to the preceeding requests for heat input- but also for getting a handle on the meaning of some of the data used in climate change models

please post anything of relevence

and excuse my ignorance if it is obvious

all the best,sir jay

Last edited by sir jay de mellow on Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:08 pm
sir jay de mellow

Post Post subject: e tu brutus??????? Reply with quote

transcript or video of lembert[sp?] opik - liberal democrat mp[uk]
interview with jeremy paxman bbc newsnight [uk] about charles kennedy speech outlining recent probs with alcohol - and announcing a leadership vote? - [i think]

i am interested in the language used in the responses to mr paxman, apparently supporting mr kennedy, to describe the alcoholism? refered to.

and also the structure/relationship of the questioning and response.

all the best,sir jay

Last edited by sir jay de mellow on Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:54 am
sir jay de mellow

Post Post subject: oh no! : another database Reply with quote

would like to find [ref/ links] or if not available suggest forming:

a database of ALL of karl marx's writings : a concordance? if you will

searchable and resolvable [singly and multiply{ee not i/y}]: for example

by date[perhaps down to month]

by keyword eg : capitalism, or specific marxian language construct/identifyer

by links to other writers of the time, previously, future - of relevence to particular subject matter - and perhaps ancient "roots" of argument subject/problem being adressed.- also critiques.

----------------

obviously language and accurate translation/idiosyncracy is of importance, and issues pertaining to separation between actual writing and others interpretation are also important.

these attempts have been done in relation to religious texts etc with"layering" of translations[diff] and in relation to new sources e.g. wrt dead sea scrolls , nag hammadi in the judeo-christo-islamo frame of reference.

other chroniclers, writers, thinkers, philosophers,scientists could be granted a similar treatment - a chomsky one , for example, in the modern context may be of enormous value. though issues of copywrite come into play

i realise the software for such things is readily available

the main problem may be data input and upkeep/custodianship.

as i say it may already have been done if so a ref would be adequate

also - for the business peeps out there- would it be possible in terms of contract to release as a set of cd roms??

all the best,sir jay

Last edited by sir jay de mellow on Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:00 am
sir jay de mellow

Post Post subject: media smears : [another bl**dy database ] Reply with quote

media smears : [another bl**dy database request]

looking for refs/sites with updating archive of media smears

as a reaction to a forum post from rob g? in a letter written to guardian re smear? of galloway re- big brother

Quote:

Re: Email to Vikram Dodd
Posted by focus on January 7, 2006, 8:59 pm, in reply to "Re: Email to Vikram Dodd"
User logged in as: focus

well you know me an me ponchant for data bases
looks like there is a need for a "smear database" as well, resolvable to issue, person smeared, person smearing, institution attacked , institution attacking, technique used
[definitions/labels required]
all the best,f

all the best,sir jay
Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:06 am
sir jay de mellow

Post Post subject: re # 5 : ammunition deployment irq Reply with quote

re # 5 : munition deployment irq

some reference provided:

http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6300

alternatively

http://www.onlinejournal.com/artman/publish/article_378.shtml

Quote:

Weapons Used

In his outstanding essay, "The Myth of Surgical Bombing in the Gulf War" (which first appeared in "War Crimes," edited by Ramsey Clark and others), Paul walker gives an exhaustive account of the weapons the United States used against the Iraqi people:

Some 88,500 tons of bombs have been dropped in over 109,000 sorties flown by a total of 2,800 fixed-wing aircraft.

The total number of bombs dropped by allied forces in the war comes to about 250,000, of these only 22,000 were the so-called "smart bombs" or guided bombs. About 10,000 of these guided bombs were laser-guided and about 10,000 were guided anti-tank bombs. The remaining 2,000 were radiation-guided bombs directed at communication and radar installations.

2,095 HARM missiles

217 Walleye missiles

5,276 guided anti-tank missiles
<!--[if !supportLists]-->44,922 cluster bombs and rockets

136,755 conventional bombs

4,077 guided bombs
Were these all the weapons the U.S. used to destroy Iraq as a nation? What was the strategy behind the bombing? Was the targeting of Iraq's infrastructures accidental? Did U.S. military planners predict the aftermath of bombardment? To answer these and other questions, I shall quote more of Paul Walker's article, bringing in other authors and sources, and discuss Iraq's casualties, fatalities, health conditions, and related matters.

Next: Part 41: The choice: obedience or annihilation

Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:49 am
sir jay de mellow

Post Post subject: search fields Reply with quote

search fields

further to a request - a while ago on m/l board [nov?]

i am looking for a way to search the web in the following ways:

-to disclude non - "official?" sites : when looking for official data
-to disclude opinion layers - when looking for sources
-to disclude offficial sources - when looking for comment/analysis
-to disclude "other/competitor?" government or official source - when looking at say - zambian health figures
-to disclude "home" governments/official sources when looking at eg german weapons sales figures
- to disclude mainstream media when looking for info about a story
-to disclude media as a whole when looking for data/official sources

that type of thing, hopefully you see what i'm getting at. i appreciate the internet may not be thus resolvable - but if it is i would like to know - should be useful in the general case for m/l peeps too

please - dont be bashful? etc - add anything of relevence

all the best,sir jay
Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:40 am
sir jay de mellow

Post Post subject: free range Reply with quote

free range

am looking for some links to studies, articles or opinions about what effect "bird flu" operations, have had, and will have on the practice of keeping poultry, whether: factory, battery, half range, free range, organic, wild, back garden etc.
also looking for similar wrt how this may differentially impact those communities which have more dependence on one or other forms of poultry "rearing" and the way such things may feed into local economics and remodeling of market penetration in "poorer" countries, cap etc.

any refs pls post.

all the best,sir jay
Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:48 pm
sir jay de mellow

Post Post subject: leaverage Reply with quote

iran as a pivot

looking for articles/analysis on how present interactions, and/or future conflicts [or threat of conflict] - with iran - may influence other bodies and regional politics around persia:

eg splitting/ splitting threat and redirection of the u.n. --- deja vous

a change in the percieved alliance of iran and cis, cf strategy pre recent irq invasion

a change i the percieved alliance of iran and china - cf strategy towards present irq invasion

[it seems france is now onboard the eu train as regards old colonial and post colonial regional interests- but still possibly , in relation to french/german influ in region] - cf strategy in build up to present irq invasion

british historical influence in region

eu-expansion

other countries

eu expansion in relation to oft quoted language similarities [ shared heritage?] of persian and indo- european language family.

that type of thing.

all the best , sir jay
Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:47 pm
sir jay de mellow

Post Post subject: re#5 Reply with quote

RE #5

OF INTEREST :

Quote:

different stats
Posted by Michael Hardiman on January 20, 2006, 11:49 am, in reply to "Another grim week in Iraq"
User logged in as: mhardi

The numbers here... icasualties.org...are rather different

http://icasualties.org/oif/

all the best,sir jay
Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:21 am
sir jay de mellow

Post Post subject: HAITI LIBERIA CONGO Reply with quote

HAITI LIBERIA CONGO [LETALONE THE OBVIOUS ONES : IRQ AFGNSTN]

looking for refs/articles.
un been coming under a lot of pressure here recently [ i make no judgement here] asked the following on lenins the other day.

what will john bolton and crew make of this?

see also here: http://www.medialens.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=966
and here: http://www.medialens.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1151
and here: http://www.medialens.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1109

think also of news images of new orleans, paris etc, think doha, think p.c, think....

not sure about this one

all the best, sir jay
Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:11 am
sir jay de mellow

Post Post subject: constitutions / change in constitutions Reply with quote

looking for refs etc on the following:

constitutions / change in constitutions:

from a global perspective-

us continually has tension over its own constitution/ constitution change
ussr ----> c.i.s.
eu constitution
uk --->eu constitution
venezuela
bolivia
changes related to nafta, cafta
anti - terrorism legislation
non nationally limited projects - international law
"---------"--------"-----"-------" - wto
"---------"--------"----------"--- - world bank /imf
"----------"---------"----------"-- koyoto
historical examples eg: within nations, western colonialism, romans, ottomans, egyptians, persians : ie empires

and how the changes are done, presented through media
also how different groups or ideologies coalese and deploy around the issue.

all the best sir jay
Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:59 am
sir jay de mellow

Post Post subject: diff irq casualty studies Reply with quote

re #5

iraq mortality studies

these are not explicitly related to #5 but have a bearing on one aspect of the usefulness of the requested information

it was requested in response to recent media alert.... hold on a minute

Quote:

Iraq mortality studies question
Posted by Razputin on January 25, 2006, 12:50 pm
User logged in as: rasputin

From the recent media alert:
"There are now at least 8 independent estimates of the number or rate of deaths induced by the invasion of Iraq."

Can anyone direct me to what these 8 studies are? I'd be interested in having a look at the numbers they give and the methodologies they use.

cheers

Re: Iraq mortality studies question
Posted by dereklane on January 25, 2006, 10:17 pm, in reply to "Iraq mortality studies question"
User logged in as: dereklane

I just read it myself (the alert) - wondering the same thing.
One thing I did not know; that IBC was based purely on media reports. That explains the gap of course, between it and the lancet report.

If the same tactics had been applied pre-Indonesian withdrawal from East Timor, the official body count would have stood at between perhaps 30 and 200, rather than the 200 000 estimate generally agreed upon post-withdrawal.

Obviously, it is a methodology set to fail, and dismally at that.

derek

thanks. - yepp me too, would be very useful.[nm]
Posted by focus on January 26, 2006, 12:22 am, in reply to "Iraq mortality studies question"

Found 4 of the 8 studies
Posted by Razputin on January 26, 2006, 8:03 am, in reply to "Iraq mortality studies question"
User logged in as: rasputin

I've found a reference to 4 of the 8 studies (incl IBC and Lancet) at this site:
http://iraqmortality.org/mortality-studies?PHPSESSID=86421d0a652d5cb38d3fa8ca86ab4d54

So two more are:

- Iraq Living Conditions Survey 2004
- Iraqi Civilian War Casualties

Haven't found anything on the other four yet.

all the best, sir jay

Last edited by sir jay de mellow on Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:33 am
sir jay de mellow

Post Post subject: paint stripper Reply with quote

re #12

search fields - paint stripper

how do i search internet articles written/posted on a particular day
for example jan 19th 1998
- and filtering out articles written from jan 20th 1998 onwards
- ok would also be good to filter out those before the 19th,
but seeing as the future is the best/easiest place to cover up a "gaff"
- most important would be the filter of later articles.

maybe theres a search engine , but on google, for example,
it seems can only do last 3, 6 months etc
Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:02 am
sir jay de mellow

Post Post subject: bloomberg on davos Reply with quote

bloomberg on davos

from the message board:

mp3 or video if possible
[what would be really nice is a transcript or mp3/vid of extended interviews - if they went over the two/three minute timeslot]

Quote:

something interesting on bloomberg today? - or ammunition?
Posted by focus on January 28, 2006, 5:49 pm

caught it today
1030 - 1130 hrs [uk time]

extended special on davos

amid all the numbers arows and bright flashing lights of the tv console that is bloomberg tv

short interviews - maybe 2 - 4 mins each
with about 20 - 30 "top r?ankers"
including:
head of iea
head of opec
morgan stanley
china bank
similar type org heads
good ole rikky branson and his ethano- cellulose refineries
etc etc

dont know if its replayed - if so its worth a look - a transcript would also be very useful
some useful quotes in there

interesting for what they said
for how they were interviewed
and the show [the special] - how it was packaged.

havnt seen "open acess tv stations" do much on it yet - but then if theyre anything like the guardian recently[ian blair, literacy uk rpt] [which i would also like a transcript /ref] , theyre probly too slack, or too tight with their info sources.

probly had some celeboticians/popularticians in there too like "chaz n dave" "the alkeida chiefs" [hat tip to r4 commedy on that one]etc

all the best,f

all the best sir jay

Last edited by sir jay de mellow on Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:04 am
sir jay de mellow

Post Post subject: david kay - newsnight comments Reply with quote

david kay - newsnight comments

mp3/transcript of david kay on newsnight 2/2/06
giving his responses on the issue of weapons and technology infrastructure capabilityof iran, in relation to his opinion/assessment of that of prewar iraq.

not available on the play it again function on the bbc2 newsnight site.
only the cartoon discussion is available

bread and circusses - i dunno.

all the best,sir jay
Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:03 pm
sir jay de mellow

Post Post subject: world over media criticism sites Reply with quote

world over media criticism sites

extending from from daniel maz :

Quote:

Media criticism in France
Posted by danielmazir on February 11, 2006, 3:25 pm
User logged in as: danielmaz

For those of you who understand French, this site is the equivalent of Medialens in France.
Excellent both in quality of analysis and diversity of topics.

http://www.acrimed.org/

on a world level [indiv countries/ regions], no doubt another potential can of worms :

left/right, cooption, system capable, colonialism of mentality, appropriateness relevent to system, ability of system to include full range of views, crossover, biases in technology access, imposition and potential damage on existing system, indigenous [aboriginal? out of system] disinclusion/voice.

media crit as opposed to ability to project independent media.

all the best,sir jay
Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:08 pm
sir jay de mellow

Post Post subject: ahminedjad speech anniversary of islamic revolution Reply with quote

ahminedjad speech anniversary of islamic revolution

would appreciate a full transcript

from here :

Quote:

This morning[11/2/06] at round about 0800 hours, on CNN world: uninterupted coverage of mr ahmadinejad's speech to a large gathering in tehran in celebration , i think of the 27th anniversary of the iranian islaamic revolution.

link :

"egs "good" mainstream-media coverage/structure "
http://www.medialens.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5295&highlight=#5295

also relevent for here:

"magicmedia - can i have a president from the audience please"
http://www.medialens.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1347&highlight=
Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:24 pm
sir jay de mellow

Post Post subject: iraq mortality studies Reply with quote

re #5

iraq mortality studies

Quote:

"Do Iraqi Civilian Casualties Matter?" - Article by Les Roberts
Posted by Ron F on February 14, 2006, 5:28 pm
User logged in as: RonF

Too long to post here, an article by Les Roberts, co-author of the report calculating Iraqi deaths since

the invasion, published by the Lancet -
Do Iraqi Civilian Casualties Matter?

from the referenced article :

[ tried to keep it on point about numbers and different assessments - left out the writers comment on the broader picture that was not in paragraphs to do with the figures and sources for figures - uneccessary for this particular purpose]

Quote:

1. "Our survey team's 100,000 death estimate for the first 18 months after the U.S. led-invasion equates to about 101 coalition-attributed violent deaths per day.

Our findings were not unique, however.

2. A report in the New England Journal of Medicine in July 2004, based on interviews with returning U.S. soldiers, suggests an unintentional non-combatant death toll of 133 deaths per day.

3. A survey led by a group in Norway (see report at www.fafo.no) estimated 56 violent deaths per day over the first year of occupation but the authors speculate that the estimate is low.

4. A widely cited survey by the People's Kifah (an Iraqi political group) estimated 152 violent deaths per day over the first seven months of occupation, but proper documentation of the supposed door-to-door record has not be obtained.

5. The NGO Coordinating Committee for Iraq recorded approximately 50 violent deaths per day during 2004.

All five of these sources suggest that many tens-of-thousands of Iraqis have died, and all but the FAFO survey (which did not identify perpetrators) agree that coalition forces are responsible for the lion's share of these deaths.

The death toll most commonly cited in the news media is the 6. Iraqbodycount.org estimate of 17 violent deaths per day. That estimate is largely based on news media accounts and is described by the organization itself as a lowest possible body count.

7. To demonstrate another source of accounting for fatalities commonly cited in the Middle-eastern press, Figure 1 [ you'll have to go to the link for this] represents the record of deaths made at the largest morgue in Baghdad for all of 2003 through September 2004.

Before the war, about 10 percent of all Baghdad deaths were recorded in this morgue. (Data for December 2003 are missing.) While the use of morgues and the populations they serve can change over time and does not provide a true rate of death, the 2.7 fold increase of recorded deaths in the 18 months after the invasion is both dramatic and is almost all explained by the increase in gunshot and explosion-related wounds.

The contrast between the graph showing 400 violent deaths a month in portions of Baghdad served by this morgue, and oft-cited Iraqbodycount estimate of about 500 violent deaths per month in the entire country, could not be more dramatic. The Iraqbodycount estimate is certainly low and the morgue-recorded deaths are probably overestimating the increase in mortality. (The dramatic increase in deadly violence is likely resulting in a larger fraction of decedents bypassing hospitals and having their deaths recorded at morgues.)

It is probable that the level of violence and increase in mortality is overestimated by the Figure 1 and by those in the foreign press who cite such numbers. It is more probable, however, that the estimates
of 20,000 to 30,000 civilian deaths cited in the American press are too low, most likely by a factor of five or ten."

article ref : http://www.alternet.org/audits/31508/
Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:01 am
sir jay de mellow

Post Post subject: 3 pieces on id cards Reply with quote

3 pieces on id cards[uk]

in a recent [last 2 weeks] lords debate [that i saw on parliament tv] baroness Scotland mentioned some home office research which she quoted in her pro position on id cards

the phrase used was something like:

"according to recent home office research, 73% of the people support the introduction of id cards"

i would like a reference for the research, and also but less importantly, the exact wording of the quote.

scottish national party member speech [in commons debate yesterday afternoon - on id cards]
name : stewart hosie

examples of other countries introducing, or having introduced, id cards - to get a feel for the global angle
Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:16 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Media Lens Forum Index -> Media Lens Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: