Sent: 12/12/2003 10:03 PM
Subject: Canada has no call on Iraq contracts

RE: Canada has no call on Iraq contracts

Mr. Gee,

you wrote that "to suggest that Canada should get equal status with
countries whose soldiers are coming home in body bags is chutzpah on a
grand scale."

What Iraqis have suffered under the West's former ally Saddam and now
under US/UK occupation dwarfs what the invaders/occupiers are enduring.

Shouldn't the Iraqi people be deciding who rebuilds their country and
how? Doesn't this spat over the spolls of war highlight the indifference
to the Iraqi people of ALL the nations involved?

You also wrote "Americans subsidize not just our defence, but the social
programs we are so proud of, which would not be nearly so generous if we
had to pay for full-fledged armed forces."

Good one. Who is about to march into Canada if not for the US?

Joe Emersnberger

Dear Mr. Emersberger:

But in this case the money for rebuilding is coming from Washington, so shouldn't it make the choice?

Mr. Gee:

Washington has no right to decide anything after supporting Hussein through his worst atrocities, subjecting the population to over a decade of devastating sanctions, and causing the deaths of thousands due to the invasion and its aftermath. Their money should be thought of as reparations, not charity.

Putting these considerations aside, having Bush and his corporate cronies run the reconstruction of Iraq is forcing needless deprivation on Iraqis.

Herbert Docena, writing for Asia Times Online,

[see http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=15&ItemID=4764]

noted the frustration of Yaarub Jasim, general director for the southern region of Iraq's electricity ministry. Bechtel wasted no time supplying US made air conditioners that weren't even requested but has yet to supply components to repair Russian made turbines so that demand for electricity can be met.

Jasim says that the US needs to get out of the way.

'If only the money and spare parts were provided,' Jasim said, 'we could do a surgical operation.' 'If I'm going to do it without KBR, I can do it,' said Al-Khshab. 'We have been doing this for the past thirty years without KBR. Give me the money and give me the proper authority and I'll do it.'

Docena concludes

"But the US won't because who knows what the Iraqis would do. Ask the Russians to repair their power plants? Actually succeed in reconstructing their country without the involvement of Bechtel and Halliburton? "

Regards,

Joe
Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:57 am
AndyN

Post Post subject: Reply with quote

What astounds me is that on the one hand the media can espouse this war as a great liberating act of kindness one the one hand, yet on the other can coldly discuss how, y'know, its only fair that we get the contract as, obviously, our generosity needs to be repaid.

To paraphrase an analogy David Traynier (?) posted some while ago, its like beating someone up, then driving them to the hospital, but not letting them out until they've paid the petrol.
Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:45 am
joe emersberger

AndyN wrote:
What astounds me is that on the one hand the media can espouse this war as a great liberating act of kindness one the one hand, yet on the other can coldly discuss how, y'know, its only fair that we get the contract as, obviously, our generosity needs to be repaid.

To paraphrase an analogy David Traynier (?) posted some while ago, its like beating someone up, then driving them to the hospital, but not letting them out until they've paid the petrol.

You can't be a mainstream pundit if you are incapable of doublethink.
Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:32 pm
David Bracewell

Joe, Marcus Gee says the money is coming from Washington - but this is anything but clear. I understand that $10 billion of the current US aid money is to be denominated as a 'loan' to the Iraqis and a branch of JP Morgan has set up an operation for Iraq whereby future oil profits will be set aside for construction costs (perhaps either the implementation of the $10 billion loan plan or something entirely new).

So he's wrong, and in any case, as you point out in your own way, living off the misery Canadian allies have created in Iraq is drearily low rent and immoral.
Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:58 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Media Lens Forum Index -> your letters All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: