Forum

profile |  register |  members |  groups |  faq |  search  login

Links between Saddam's regime and 9-11 'unproven'.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Traynier

Post Post subject: Links between Saddam's regime and 9-11 'unproven'. Reply with quote

I thought I'd post this here -just to get this particular forum rolling. Are we having somewhere to archive correspondence?

Sent: 15 January 2004 09:30
To: 'julian.borger(at)guardian.co.uk'; 'r.norton-taylor(at)guardian.co.uk'
Subject: Saddam wanted jihadists kept at arm's length

Dear Julian Borger and Richard Norton Taylor,

I have just read your informative article of January 15th (Saddam wanted jihadists kept at arm's length) but I am disturbed by its final sentence: ‘Claims of a direct link between the September 11 hijackers and the Saddam regime remain unproved.’ I have two concerns with this strange statement.

Firstly, the ‘direct link’ between Saddam’s regime and the 9-11 hijackers does, technically, remain ‘unproven’; but only in the sense that the direct link between Britney Spears and the 9-11 hijackers remains ‘unproven’. In other words, in the sense that there is no evidence at all. ‘Remains unproven’ does rather suggest that the idea is plausible, or that there is reason for such a belief, even if it has not yet been proven conclusively. This is simply not the case with Saddam and 9-11.

Secondly, you make reference to ‘claims’ but you do not specify who has made such claims or whether they have any credibility. Certainly, though they insinuated it widely, the US Administration did not make such a claim directly and nor did the UK Government. Without further specification, the reader might assume that it was one or both of these governments which did make the claim –thus lending it a credibility it does not merit.

I hope you will understand why your final sentence might very well leave many readers with the strong impression that there is reason to suspect Saddam Hussein had direct links with the 9-11 perpetrators, despite the fact that there is no evidence of this and compelling evidence to the contrary.

Best wishes,

David Traynier
Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:19 am
Michael

Post Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but don't post the same piece in both "forums".
look my last post in the "general" stuff.

Regards
Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:13 pm
warszawa

Post Post subject: Proof, evidence, insinuation and suggestion Reply with quote

David, that’s an excellent letter that hits two nails firmly on their respective heads.

Much more interestingly, though: 28 months after a mass murder that’s now been used to justify two wars, claims of a direct link between the (alleged) September 11 hijackers and the September 11 attacks also remain unproven.

Or can anyone provide me with anything remotely resembling proof? For example: I have yet to see any *proof* that all or any of them were even on the planes - still less that they actually hijacked them.
Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:57 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Media Lens Forum Index -> Media Lens Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: