Forum

profile |  register |  members |  groups |  faq |  search  login

Exchange with EDP deputy editor about advertising

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian

Post Post subject: Exchange with EDP deputy editor about advertising Reply with quote

Dear Mr Sinclair,

As the Deputy Editor of the EDP, I'm afraid my life is far too busy to enter into ridiculous exchanges based on wild conspiracy theories of this nature.
Peter Franzen has already written to you blowing your last allegations regarding Richard Jewson out of the water.
Now you are attempting to waste my time on an equally pathetic inquiry. We are a busy and sophisticated news operation, about which it is quite clear that you have not the slightest understanding.
Yours sincerely,
James Ruddy

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 10/02/2005 09:26
To: James.Ruddy@archant.co.uk
Cc: EDPLetters@archant.co.uk
Subject: The EDP and their Flybe advertising

Dear Mr Ruddy,

As a daily reader of the Eastern Daily Press, I wondered if you could answer a query I have.

I notice that advertisements are not placed randomly in the paper, but often positioned to gain the attention of the advertiser's target audience. For example the motor advertising in your weekly motoring supplement and/or Ford's strip advert (tagline: 'He'd be playing with his eyes closed to miss that') in your football pullout ('Yellow and green', 7 February 2005, p.1-5).

Would you agree this is a fair description of the relationship between advertising and news content in the EDP?

With the above in mind, I read with interest yesterday's EDP which included a full page advert for Flybe on page 11, and then, on page 16, a news item about the protest and subsequent apology from the City Council, about their decision to allow a laser advertisement for Flybe airlines to be displayed on the clock tower ('Apology over ad display on tower', 9 February 2005).

Could you tell me why the Flybe advert wasn't placed next to the news item on Flybe? Are advertisements only placed next to similar news content, only if the news content is 'positive'?

Furthermore, could you tell me whether Flybe laid down any rules with the EDP for the placing of their full page adverts (e.g. For it not to be placed next to stories that portray low cost air travel in a negative or controversial manner - a common strategy for corporate advertisers)?

Thanking you,

Ian Sinclair
Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:43 pm
Ian

Post Post subject: Reply with quote

wild conspiracy theories, huh?

M&S pulls ads from Mail group

Retailer reacts with fury over 'negative reporting'

Julia Finch and Jane Martinson
Thursday March 3, 2005
Guardian

Marks & Spencer has pulled all advertising from Associated Newspapers' three main titles in protest at what it regards as "negative" reporting.
The struggling high-street retailer has withdrawn all adverts from the Daily Mail, the Mail on Sunday and London's Evening Standard.

The decision followed a series of articles criticising the management team led by Stuart Rose, particularly in the Daily Mail and its Sunday sister title.
Mr Rose's dramatic withdrawal from titles that attract millions of the middle-England consumers that he is trying to woo back into the stores may raise questions about M&S's management.

He is struggling with increasingly tough conditions on the high street. In the wake of poor Christmas trade he was forced into a profits warning and many City analysts think sales are continuing to deteriorate at an alarming rate.

The loss of such a big advertiser comes as a blow to Associated, as the Marks & Spencer account is worth millions of pounds. The latest ad campaign alone - which uses the strapline "Perfect" - was described by one advertising executive as a "big one" worth more than 1m.

Marks & Spencer is understood to have been paying 32,000 for each full-page ad in the Daily Mail.

Neither M&S nor Associated would comment on the matter last night.
M&S has traditionally been very close to the Daily Mail. Their relationship was epitomised by the fact that the retailer's new season fashion launches were regularly previewed in the Daily Mail, which sells about 2.4m copies every day.

The Mail on Sunday has more than 2 million readers.

Matters are believed to have come to a head towards the end of last year when the Sunday paper's financial pages ran a story saying the retailer had "secretly made moves to sell up to half of its poorly performing Simply Food convenience stores".

M&S complained to the newspaper about the article, which was corrected the following week. But the retailer's management was not satisfied, following what it regarded as a barrage of criticism in the paper's financial pages.

Stuart Rose was also irked by reports of his own dealings in M&S shares during last year's bitterly contested takeover fight.

He was cleared of any wrongdoing by the Financial Services Authority.
Although the decision was made to withdraw its ads in January, advertising execu tives hope to be able to win back the business from such a large client.

It is understood that M&S executives believe there could be a rapprochement, maybe timed to coincide with the next big campaign. However, there is some surprise at Marks & Spencer's action.

The Evening Standard, in particular, has been less critical than its stablemates of the management.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/print/0,3858,5139378-113681,00.html
Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:48 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Media Lens Forum Index -> east anglia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: