Forum

profile |  register |  members |  groups |  faq |  search  login

'Top-Up Fees' and media propaganda - some thoughts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vegetable Man

Post Post subject: 'Top-Up Fees' and media propaganda - some thoughts Reply with quote

Watching Bliar's 'performance' on Newsnight last night helped to highlight the distortion of the issues by the British media. Here was a room full of 'ordinary people' with cogent, rational arguments against the introduction of one of New Labours flagship neo-liberal policies. However, very few of their arguments have been given anything but a cursory examination in the media. Indeed, in recent days I've been reminded of the television coverage of the miners strike, specifically the infamous 'drift back to work' headlines. At every opportunity the reduction in the number of Labour 'rebels' is highlighted, the alternative policies ignored or dismissed.

Much like the run up to the invasion of Iraq, for the British media, there is no alternative. It is also interesting that, amongst the mainstream press, only the Independent On Sunday (currently) opposes top up fees.

Of course, the real reason for the policy is never exposed to mainstream scrutiny:

"Opening up the trade in services is a key part in the strategy of US corporate interests to secure a profitable slice of British health and education services. For modernisation, we should read 'marketisation'."
('Top-up fees lead to an unfair future' The Alan Simpson Column, Tribune, 9th January 2004).
Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:02 pm
eel pie

Post Post subject: At the risk of seeming heretical... Reply with quote

I have to admit that I am already supplying teaching services to state schools through my company. If my company were able to apply to take over a school I would immediately. Things would happen immediately, but not to Mr Charles Clarke's satisfaction. We would immediately address ourselves to the seven or eight million unemployables that the system is churning out more efficiently than anything else.
Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:00 am
Liz

Post Post subject: Eel pie's strategy Reply with quote

Eel Pie - I am interested to know how you would immediately make a difference. For instance, what is your mission statement? What techniques would you use to get disaffected young people on track?
Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:26 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Media Lens Forum Index -> Media Lens Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: