Forum

profile |  register |  members |  groups |  faq |  search  login

MediaWeek in the Independent

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ion

Post Post subject: MediaWeek in the Independent Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Kelner,

While Iíd been looking forward to yesterday's launch of the Independent's new 'MediaWeek' supplement, this first edition fell a little short of its potential. Many of your readers buy the Independent as a more critical, less government-friendly alternative to the Guardian, but unfortunately MediaWeek seemed mostly 'MediaGuardian'-lite to me.

The bulk of todayís MediaWeek comprised personal interviews, opinions and columns from media celebs (Kelvin Mackenzie, Viscount Rothermere, Max Clifford, Greg Dyke, Trevor Beattie). Such pieces are personal, subjective, often flimsy and cliquey- of more interest to media workers and employers than to those outside the profession. They dwell on the individual and not on the more interesting general qualities of the processes and output of media industries. So side by side one finds Bill Hagerty refuting that power, politics and media are intertwined and adman Wilcox denying that advertising is effective, yet Trevor Beattie (Blairís advertiser) demonstrating the lie in these with his role in New Labourís last election campaign.

However, further investigative and discursive reporting such as Mira Katbamna's 'Fighting for attention' would be most welcome. This took as a starting point a specific Navy recruitment ad campaign, but drew out of this subject deeper and generalisable themes on the social roles of the media, and its influences from government and power. It stood out as well-researched, thoughtful, balanced and from a perspective a somewhere outside the media goldfish bowl. More of that kind of article in MediaWeek please.

Best wishes,
(ion)
Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:29 am
Philip Challinor

Post Post subject: Reply with quote

A very nice letter indeed. I particularly like "fell a little short of its potential" and intend to plagiarise it and save it up for the next time I am tempted to write "same old crap for the most part".

Quote:
side by side one finds Bill Hagerty refuting that power, politics and media are intertwined and adman Wilcox denying that advertising is effective, yet Trevor Beattie (Blairís advertiser) demonstrating the lie in these with his role in New Labourís last election campaign.

This is of course "balance".

Mira Katbamna's article (http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/media/story.jsp?story=566258, for anyone who's interested) certainly dips a toe outside the media goldfish bowl, but I must say I'm a little disturbed at:

Quote:
he doesn't think there is a problem with adverts that focus on assisting the UN. "I'm proud of what we have done in Iraq, really proud and I wish we could have exploited it more."

It might also be interesting to know how far in advance the TV campaign was booked, given that the war was pretty much booked by mid-2002.
Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:44 pm
Raoul Djukanovic

Post Post subject: Reply with quote

hear, hear. nice work ion.

Quote:
It might also be interesting to know how far in advance the TV campaign was booked, given that the war was pretty much booked by mid-2002.

depends...

Quote:
On Channel 4 News (February 4, 2004), former senior US intelligence officer, Greg Thielmann, said:

"I believe, and again not based on first-hand experience but conclusions that I was reaching then and since, that the decision to go to war was made in the fall of 2001 - we were oblivious to that decision having been reached at the time. And I have to conclude that that decision was shared with prime minister Blair in August of 2002." (Channel 4 News, February 4, 2004)

according to paul o'neill, it was done and dusted before the bush administration took office. all that was required was the pretext.

Quote:
O'Neill reports seeing one memorandum preparing for war dating from the first days of the administration. Another, marked "secret" said, "Plan for Post-Saddam Iraq". O'Neill also saw a Pentagon document entitled "Foreign Suitors For Iraqi Oilfield Contracts", which discussed dividing Iraq's fuel reserves up between the world's oil companies.

in which case, the TV ads probably started this time four years ago, although the teaser campaign was very subtle: http://www.comedycentral.com/mp/play.php?reposid=/multimedia/tds/stewart/jon_7131.html&setplayer=real_media

damned subliminal advertising...

thanks to jaz for the link and to the editors for the quotes, taken from their media alerts: "go find me a way to do this, parts I and II", available at: http://www.medialens.org/alerts/index.html
Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:12 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Media Lens Forum Index -> your letters All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: