Forum

profile |  register |  members |  groups |  faq |  search  login

The trivia dominating local media

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JEFF C.

Post Post subject: The trivia dominating local media Reply with quote

An interesting experience I had recently: I was phoning up radio Norfolk, trying to get them interested in doing a story on regional reactions to the appalling slaughter of Iraqis going on at the time in Najaf. This was during the Olympics. The BBC person at the other end of the line told me it was pointless trying: 'People are only interested in Britons at the Olympics, this weekend', she said. 'SOME people', I replied...
Anyone else out there in East Anglia had similr experiences with the local/regional media?
Jeff C.
Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:20 pm
Richard Britton

Post Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to compare the coverage given to Paula Radcliffe and the pummelling of a whole Iraqi city (Najaf) by US forces.

I would guess there was probably more coverage, and more importantly more emotional coverage of one British athlete not completing a 24 mile race, than the deaths of hundreds of Iraqis...
Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:40 pm
james

Post Post subject: Re: The trivia dominating local media Reply with quote

JEFF C. wrote:
I was phoning up Radio Norfolk, trying to get them interested in doing a story on regional reactions to the appalling slaughter of Iraqis going on at the time in Najaf. ... The BBC person at the other end of the line told me it was pointless trying

What did you expect? Local media is by and large focused on local events. There are plenty of national and international outlets that deal with world events.
I'm not saying that people in Norfolk aren't interested in events in Iraq and elsewhere - but wouldn't you be surprised if your village newsletter started reporting on events in a town 30 miles away? It's the same here writ large.
________
marijuana indica

Last edited by james on Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:30 am
Richard Britton

Post Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

Paula Radcliffe was born in Cheshire, moved to Bedford when she was 11, and then attended Loughborough University. She trains every spring in Albuquerque, USA. According to the BBC she curently lives in Leicester and Fort Romeu, France. And the race that had all the coverage was in Athens, Greece.

Hardly a local Norfolk girl is she? Or a local issue.

But Radio Norfolk do focus on international issues, and Iraq is an international issue that has many ramifications for the region - UK soldiers and their families, and the many US airbases dotted around East Anglia.

Richard
Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:33 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Media Lens Forum Index -> east anglia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: