Forum

profile |  register |  members |  groups |  faq |  search  login

Exchange with Alex Thomson of ITN re Medialens

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joe emersberger

Post Post subject: Exchange with Alex Thomson of ITN re Medialens Reply with quote

Dear Alex Thomson

On journalism.co.uk you write:

"Chief among the carpers about embedding, of course, the indefatigable editors at MediaLens who get extremely hoity-toity at the entire concept of embedding. However, ask them how they would cover Helmand if they were off to the main bazaar, Lashkar Gah, at noon next Tuesday and guess what? Total silence from the normally electronically incontinent MediaLens email service. Which rather clinches the argument, simple though it is." (http://www.journalism.co.uk/5/articles/540336.php)

Alison Banville tells us that she emailed comments she solicited from us (below) to you on April 3 and that you then responded. This is what she sent you:

From the Davids:

> He's never asked us "how will you cover Helmand assuming
> you are going there next week?" The answer is that he should report it
> as he would any illegal invasion of a sovereign state. He should
> report it as he would have reported the
> 1979-89 Soviet invasion and occupation. In other words, present the
> opinion of the invading forces, of the people under occupation,
> including the resistance, and of experts in international law who
> declare the whole operation illegal. Obviously, alongside the
> warmongers, leading anti-war commentators should be regularly quoted
> and featured: Chomsky, Herman, Pilger, Goodman, Curtis, Ellsberg, et
> al. I'm not suggesting he could achieve all of that himself in the
> field, but his reports should be part of a news service that does.
> There's no question of intellectual cowardice - the answer couldn't be
> more obvious. Happy for you to quote us on this.

Please retract the falsehood.

Joe Emersberger

In a message dated 01/09/2010 5:48:24 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ALEX.THOMSON@ITN.CO.UK writes:

No. It's true thanks.

MY REPLY

So Alison Banville is lying or is it your contention that the Editors of Medialens are lying?

In a message dated 01/09/2010 6:00:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ALEX.THOMSON@ITN.CO.UK writes:

Neither. Obviously. Just as obvious as your alarmingly unquestioning acceptance that I am wrong. Weird.

MY REPLY

So are you claiming you did not get their reply? Please clarify.

In a message dated 01/09/2010 6:07:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ALEX.THOMSON@ITN.CO.UK writes:

Nope. I claim nothing. ML know very well I was not inviting a lecture on geo-politics from Planet Chomsky. I was asking, in reality what they'd do. To this day they refuse to answer as they refuse my constant invitations to meet and debate.

Because unlike me ML only want debate "on our terms" to quote them.

Closed minds - but I won't rescind the invitation because I (as this proves) welcome debate. It terrifies ML it seems.

Shame eh?

MY REPLY

Okay, so you did get the reply but contend that it did not answer the question you asked. Is that it?
Why not come on the Medialens message board and debate them or at least set the record straight on this? Seems like a very transparent way to go about things. If the editors tinker with or delete your posts you can call them on it - to a much wider audience than their board.

I think it is a shame you won't clarify a simple question. Months ago, did you see the reply they sent to Alison Banville or didn't you. Please answer.

THOMSON's FINAL REPLY

I have clarified. Now I'm going to sleep. Nitey night.
Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:35 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Media Lens Forum Index -> your letters All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: