Forum

profile |  register |  members |  groups |  faq |  search  login

US-Israeli rejectionism: Exchange with FT's Philip Stephens

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David C
site administrator

Post Post subject: US-Israeli rejectionism: Exchange with FT's Philip Stephens Reply with quote

Sent: 04 June 2010 10:03 AM
To: philip.stephens@ft.com
Cc: Cromwell D.
Subject: US-Israeli rejectionism

Hello Philip,

Thank you for your article today which contains much good sense [1].

You note towards the end that:

“Most importantly, Washington and its European allies must be ready to put before the UN the outlines of a peace settlement. There would be few surprises in such a document – the basic architecture of two states based around 1967 borders with a shared capital in Jerusalem has not changed in decades.”

True. But what you omit, crucially, is the near consistency of US and Israeli rejectionism since the 1970s of the international consensus on a two-state settlement, in accord with international law.

The single exception was in President Clinton’s final month in office. Both Israeli and Palestinian negotiators had accepted Clinton’s proposed “parameters” and were meeting in Taba, Egypt, to iron out the differences, making considerable progress. A full resolution could have been reached in a few more days, they announced in their final joint press conference. But Israeli prime minister Barak called off the negotiations prematurely, and they have not been formally resumed. This is all well documented in English and Hebrew sources.

The single exception suggests that if President Obama was able to tolerate a meaningful diplomatic settlement, it might very well be reached.

So your analysis is missing a crucial element – the real role and stance of the United States over several decades - if your readers are to understand what is going on in the Middle East.

Best wishes

David Cromwell

Reference

[1] Philip Stephens, ‘The Palestinians cannot be hammered into submission’, Financial Times, Published: June 3 2010 21:11 | Last updated: June 3 2010 21:11 http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a3936062-6f3d-11df-9f43-00144feabdc0.html

Reply:

Sent: 19 June 2010 5:58 PM
To: Cromwell D.

my thanks for the comments.. i am inundated with email so i'm afraid i can't take up individual points

yours philip stephens
Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:39 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Media Lens Forum Index -> your letters All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: